Saturday, December 8, 2012

0 DPMS Oracle .223 REM/5.56mm NATO

My recent article about my EOTech HWS got me thinking, I never said what I'd be attaching it to. From what I've read DPMS seems to have more bad reviews than good. Well the Oracle is my first AR ever and even though I don't have anything to compare it to, I haven't had any performance problems out of it. I've shot a couple thousand rounds of brass ammo out of it with 0 failures. I've been meaning to try some steel, but haven't yet. Over all it's a pretty cheap rifle, at the time of posting this it's priced at $637 over at BudGunShop.

DPMS Oracle
DPMS Oracle. Click image to enlarge.

This is the spec chart pulled from the DPMS website.
SPEC CHART
  CaliberWeight (lbs)LengthBarrelUpper ReceiverTwist
  5.56 NATO6.4 lbs32.5"/ 36.5"16" Lightweight 4140 ChromemolyForged 7075 T6 A3 Flattop1x9

  Lower ReceiverStockFire ControlHandguardPistol GripFront/Rear sightFlash Hider
  Forged 7075 T6Pardus, Com. TubeStandard AR-15Glacier GuardA2Railed Gas Block / Optics ReadyA2 Birdcage


Sadly it comes a little naked, no sights or accessory rails, but that just means I can make it my own. So make it my own I did. I grabbed a few accessories from Tapco. I bought the carbine handguard, vertical grip, and riser mount. The handguard itself is pretty comfortable with all of the covers attached. It's also pretty lightweight.
Carbine Handguard - Click image to enlarge.
The original handguard was pretty decent, but lacked any accessory rails. Who doesn't like accessories?
Oracle Handguard(left) Tapco Handguard(right). Click image to enlarge.
There are full Picatinny rails on the top and bottom of the handguard and half Picatinny rails on the left and right. Tapco also provides covers for the side and bottom rails, allowing you to use or hide them at your choosing.
Tapco Handguard with covers removed. Click image to enlarge.
 I opted for the full size vertical grip. Seemed like it would be a little more comfortable compared to the shorter model, but I haven't tried them both to be completely fair.
Full Size Vertical Grip - Click image to enlarge.
Attaching this grip is pretty straight forward flathead screw on the side. I chose to mount it farther up the handguard, but to each his own. You might find it more comfortable right next to your mag.
Handguard and vertical grip attached. Click image to enlarge.
Now for my riser mount. It wasn't really a necessity, but it definitely makes looking down the EOTech a bit easier. I believe it's only a 1 inch rise, but it helps. Still keeps the Picatinny rails and comes with two quick attach hand locking screws so no tools needed.

Riser Mount - Click image to enlarge.
So after attaching the EOTech to the riser mount and the riser mount to the rails, here we have it. Everything locks in place completely solid. Nothing loose, shaky, or out of place. I have taken the finished product to the range and it performs wonderfully. The EOTech comes off and reattaches with the riser mount and stays zeroed perfectly.

Oracle with everything attached. Click image to enlarge.
Only thing it's lacking at the moment are back up iron sights, which will likely be my next purchase.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Guns And Colors Copyright © 2011 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates